Monday, November 29, 2010

Fully Surrender:Moses - Day 1

This week we wrap up our fully surrendered series.  I have enjoyed these inspiring people who had given their lives over to God.  Through them, God's glory was revealed and their stories are still with us today. 

This week we will be discussing the life of Moses.  As a baby, Moses was surrendered to God. 

Amram and Jochebed, Moses' parents, were experiencing the joys of parenthood. They had a daughter, Miriam and now Miriam was going to be a big sister.  Soon, their joys became sorrows as Jochebed delivered a boy.  Why is that a sorrow?

Read Exodus 1 or click to view http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+1&version=NIV (Click on back arrow of web browser to return)

The Pharoah, wanting to reduce the Israelite population, was having all boys thrown into the Nile River to be killed.  When Amram and Jochebed delivered a boy, their worst fears became real.  Not towards the child, but towards the possibility of the death of their child.  So they hid the boy.  They covered their tracks as best as they could until one day they could hide him no longer. There was nothing more they could do.  What would they do now?

What do you do when you have no other option in a difficult situation?  I have a tendency to panic.  My heart starts to race and I begin to be overwhelmed with worry.  It takes me a while, because of my pride, when I turn to God.  I know I should turn to Him first but often times, I depend on my own understanding and exhaust all the options for me to do. Then I pray.  I should pray and then do all that I can and leave the rest to Him.

Amram and Jochebed did everything they could and now the only thing left to do was to surrender this child into the hands of God.  They built a basket and put him inside and let go of him on the Nile River.  I bet Jochebed had trouble letting go of the basket; wondering if she would ever see him again.  But then God did something Jochebed had no idea He was about to do.  He had Pharoah's daughter go into the water of the Nile to bathe, and while she was there washing, heard a baby crying.  Compassion filled her heart, instead of having the boy killed, she took him into her home and raised him.  Gave him the name Moses.  Jochebed even had the opportunity to see him grow up and become a man.

What a story of surrender.  Amram and Jochebed saw the glory of God because they surrendered their child over to his care.  We don't know what would've happened if they hadn't.  All we know is what they did and as result, God rescued His people from the evil Pharoah and led them to the Promised land.  All through this man, Moses.

Is there a basket in your hand that God is calling you to let go of and give over to Him?  It could be your career.  "God, I have no idea what you want to do through me, but you can have my career.  Keep it where it is or change it.  I want your plan for my life."  It could be your children. "God here are my kids.  I will raise them as best as I can but they are dedicated to you.  Show your glory through them."  It could be your health. "God, I have no idea what I will go through physically, but if there is something you want me to go through to show your glory, then do it."

Often times we want to hold onto the basket for fear of the unknown.  God wants us to simply trust Him.  He is trustworthy.

As you close:  Thank God a new day, life, health and family.  Tell God that you are willing to let go of the basket and whatever it is inside of it.  All you want is for His glory to be revealed through you.

God Bless!   

No comments:

Post a Comment