Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fully Surrender:Daniel - Day 4

One day while my wife was cooking, one of my children reached for the pan of food she was using on the stove.  She quickly told them, "Don't touch that, it's hot." They touch it and yelped.  My wife promptly reacted, "I told you it was hot." 

I watched the same situation, and I followed suit.  I know, but I'm dumb sometimes.  I went over to the same pan and touched it.  I knew it was hot and I knew I could get hurt.  I just watched my child do it.  My wife looked at me with that dumbfounded look and said, "What are you doing?"  For some reason I just couldn't learn the lesson through my child, I had to learn it myself.

That is exactly what happened to Belshazzar, King Neby's son.  The kingdom had transfered from Neby to Belshazzar.  Belshazzar had watched his dad go insane and eat grass like cattle for seven years.  Belshazzar watched his dad repent and humble himself before the God of the universe.  But did Belshazzar learn from his father's mistakes?

Read what happened in Daniel 5 or click to view  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel+5&version=NIV (Click on back arrow on web browser to return)

Daniel had the tough assignment; to confront Belshazzar with the news of his immediate end.  Why? Belshazzar was proud of his work and his kingdom.  There was no place for God in his world.  So, he would be killed and a new power would arise, the Mede's and Persians.  He wasn't on the throne for long.  Why was that?  God gave King Neby some time to change, why not Belshazzar?  We don't know how long he sat on the throne but there is something to be said about learning lessons through other people.  We learn life lessons through other people's stories.  He should've learned through his dad's story but he didn't.  So the patience of God appears a little shorter with Belshazzar. 

How are you in learning life lessons through other people?  In my earlier story, I have had moments where I didn't learn what I should've learned.  Sometimes I have to learn the hard way.  I hope I am a little wiser in my older age.

God has things for us to learn and sometimes it is not personal but through the easier way of others.  Watch and learn.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way, but I opt for the easy way. How about you?

As you close:  Ask God to give you wisdom to live a life that is pleasing to Him.  Ask Him to help you learn through the experiences of others.  And then ask Him for patience as we at times need to learn it the hard way.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment