Wednesday, February 16, 2011

28 Days of Loving - Day 2

This past Sunday I was talking about how the love God has for us changes our view of ourselves.  At least it should. When we truly realize that God values us as special and sacred, it should change the way we look at ourselves.

Are we allowing the things of this world to damage our value?  I Corinthians 6:19 says that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Because of this, we should honor God with our bodies.

That means we should care about what we allow our eyes to see.

Do you remember that song, "Oh be careful little eyes what you see..."  Already you are singing that song in your head.  Well, this simple nursery rhyme is a powerful song.  Why? Because we should be careful what our eyes ponder on. 

This week the new cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue came out.  All the talk is about the new girl on the cover page.  She may be a beautiful woman who is dressed in a very revealing swimsuit.  But do I really need to be looking at her like that?  Is that good for my mind?  Is that good for my image of my wife?  Will I be thinking of her instead of my wife?  All because I took a peek at a Magazine cover.

God wants you to be careful with what you look at.  He knows how impressionable our minds are just by simply looking around us. Learn from King Davids mistake.

Read 2 Samuel 11 or click to view http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Samuel+11&version=NIV (Click Back Arrow on web browser to return)

David's eyes caused a great problem.  Did he flinch when he saw her bathing?  Did he try to walk away? Did he justify his thoughts?

Oh be careful little eyes what you see...David was not careful with his eyes and the thing he did, displeased the Lord.

I want to please the Lord with my eyes.  So I need to guard them.  I need to be thinking ahead so that I can protect them.  Are you doing the same?

As you close: Ask God for his help to keep your eyes pure from the filth in this world.  Ask God to give you wisdom to know what is good to look at and what is not. 

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment